‘The Raven Cycle” by Maggie Steifvater is a book series that holds a really special place in my heart. It’s like a thick blanket on a cold, snowy day.
And one of the things that makes the series so special and important for me is Maggie Steifvater’s beautiful writing which is so well-thought-of and dreamy that it really captures me, and encompasses my brain (if that makes sense).
And so here are my favourite quotes from The Raven Cycle –
- “I don’t care to be pretty,” Blue shot back hotly, “I care to look on the outside like I look on the inside.”
Needless to say, I love this. Primarily because I love Blue Sargent so much. We have so much in common, and there is so much about her that I admire. She’s bold and strong, and isn’t afraid to live in her own skin. And she stands out because she’s different. Not just a little bit different so that you can still ‘fit in’, but different enough to not care about how everyone else sees her. And I love her infinitely much for this.
- It wasn’t that Henry was less of himself in English. He was less of himself out loud. His native language was thought.
Henry fucking Cheng. I sometimes feel sad we got close to Henry so late. He was so cute! ^-^ But essentially, this quote brings out the constraints of language, and the immense power of the brain. And I love it.
- Because Niall Lynch was a forest fire, a rising sea, a car crash, a closing curtain, a blistering symphony, a catalyst with planets inside him. And he had given all of that to his middle son.
How can anyone not be infatuated with this description? Completely unrelated metaphors that accurately describe everyone’s favourite Lynch/es. And it’s so visually easy to picture, but at the same time so beautiful, and contributes to the aesthetic of TRC so well.
- Blue was perfectly aware that it was possible to have a friendship that wasn’t all-encompassing, that wasn’t blinding, deafening, maddening, quickening. It was just that now that she’d had this kind, she didn’t want the other.”
Friendship is so underrated. And that’s one of the reasons I love TRC so much. Because it places so much importance on friendships and the need for friends. I mean, the dynamics and relation that each person has with the other??? And on a more personal note, I’m the kind of person who’d rather have 3/4 really really good friends than a boy/girl/othergender-friend. And I (insanely) deeply love the idea of friendships that engulf and take over your life, and the relationships that you have with these people. Which is something TRC explores so beautifully. ❤
- hey Lynch I didn’t leave that car for it to sit while you just blow III”
No explanation needed. This one is legend.
Which of these quotes do you like? And which others ones do you like? And of course, say why too.
Hey, so this is my first attempt at a post like this (or arguably a post at all)
And so any feedback/criticism/hate/abuses/anything at all really, express through likes and comments.